We are pleased to announce a new workshop series starting IN LESS THAN TWO WEEKS on January 26th. These six workshops will be taught by experienced growers and UT personnel and will provide growers and agricultural professionals with training in planning, structuring, marketing, managing, analyzing profitability and expanding a CSA. These two-hour workshops, planned from 1-3 PM (NOTE: Workshops will be 1-3 PM EST or CST according to the host farm timezone.) on Monday afternoons, will be offered on working farms throughout Tennessee from January to June.
1) January 26, Choosing Your Crops and Varieties, and Scheduling Their Planting in the Greenhouse and the Field, led by Jeff Martin, Plant Sciences, and Adam Colvin, Colvin Family Farm, Spring City, TN. This workshop will crop and variety selection, as well as crop in the field and greenhouse.
2) February 9, Options for CSA Legal Structure and Analyzing CSA Profitability, led by Chris Clark and Margarita Velandia, Agricultural and Resource Economics, Becky Jacobs, College of Law, and Ray and Bart Gilmer, Falcon Ridge Farm, Toone, TN. This workshop will help participants think about the legal structure of their business, as well as help them analyze the profitability of their CSA.
3) March 16, Managing Growth of Your CSA, Labor Management, Apprenticeship Programs and Quality of Life, led by Jeff Martin, Plant Sciences, and Tana Comer, Eaton’s Creek Organics, Joelton, TN. This workshop will cover labor issues, the pros and cons of apprenticeship programs, and expanding your CSA gradually, while maintaining your quality of life.
4) April 13, Adding Fruit Crops to Your CSA, led by David Lockwood, Plant Sciences, and Shannon Meadows, Mountain Meadows Farm, Heiskell, TN. This workshop will introduce participants to considerations for small and tree fruit production.
5) May 11, Choosing Equipment for a Small, Diversified Farm, led by Bob Due, Terraced Gardens Farm, New Tazewell, TN. This workshop will cover choosing equipment for a small, diversified operation.
6) June 15, Marketing Your CSA and Keeping Your Customers Happy, led by Megan Bruch, Center for Profitable Agriculture, and Ron and Chris Arnold, Herb and Plow Farm, Grimsley, TN. This workshop will help participants develop a marketing plan and provide tips for marketing their CSA.
Registration is $50 per person for all six workshops or $10 per person per workshop.
Registration for TN Fruit and Vegetable Association members (http://www.tfva.org/jointfva/) or TN Organic Growers Association members (http://www.tnorganics.org/contact.html) is FREE. Enter promo code TFVAFREE or TOGAFREE on the payment screen, if you are a member. Member verification required.
Register on-line by clicking on one of the six workshops under ‘Upcoming Events’ at:
Please contact Jenny Moore (865.974.0710 or email@example.com) or Annette Wszelaki (865.974.8332 or firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information. The attached flyer also has workshop and registration information. Please post and distribute to folks who may be interested.