UPDATE: 2019 MidTN Growers Meeting
It was great getting together on Monday!
There were lots of ideas created and many resources and events mentioned. Afterwards, I received more information I wanted to share. Some of these are time-sensitive, and we will also attempt to have these on Mid TN Growers website and Facebook. Pasted below are 7 items of interest:
1. A survey request from two extensions agents for a TSU professor. Please consider participating so Dr. Fisseha Tegengne, ftegegne@Tnstate.edu
2. National Women in Farming in Agriculture Workshop April 16, 2019 at TSU
3. Local Table Farm Guide for farmers to advertise their produce, contact Lisa Shively at firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Farmer has land – wants to go into business/create partnership, contact Ralph Macken @931-278-0825, located Montgomery County, I-24, Exit 8
5. Farm & Garden Supply Group Order with Spiral Ridge Farm –
We order from Seven Springs Farm Supply, out of Virginia. Anything they have, including special sales and bulk discount prices, are available. They have amendments for your soil, supplements for animals, row covers for season extension, pest management, fencing and netting, organic cover crop seed, seed starting mixes, etc. The prices are what is listed on their site. I then add on tax (unless you provide me with a copy of exemption), and shipping. The bigger the group order the more we save on shipping. Order due date is Feb. 7 and the order will come in about a week later. You will need to pick up in Summertown, TN. You can also arrange for an order to be drop shipped directly to you, or a group of you, in another area. If the order is large enough (at least 1 pallet), you will still benefit from cheaper shipping cost. For example, one farm we work with gets it drop shipped to their farm, instead of picking up at our farm. It only cost them $25 more and they saved gas plus a 4 hour round trip.
For all the details on HOW to order go to our website. http://www.spiralridgepermaculture.com/farmsupply/
For the list of products available go to http://www.7springsfarm.com/
6. KY/TN Beginning Farmer Summit to be held on February 20
Agriculture Enterprise Fund info from Mike Brown of TDA.
The Agriculture Enterprise Fund (AEF) is an incentive program that supports Governor Haslam’s priority of job creation and economic development by facilitating agricultural development in Tennessee. The AEF is a product of the Governor’s Rural Task Force. It is administered by the Department of Agriculture in conjunction with the Department of Economic and Community Development.
7. The AEF will award grants to starting or expanding agricultural, food and forestry businesses; farmers, nonprofits, local governments, and other entities in Tennessee, or those whose project will be located in Tennessee. Successful grant recipients must demonstrate a strong potential for impact on local farm income, access to markets, increased capacity or agricultural innovation. Priority will be given to businesses located in at-risk counties, distressed counties and counties adjoining at-risk or distressed counties.
The AEF selection process is competitive. The AEF Committee reviews applications throughout the year on a quarterly basis. The deadlines for consideration in fiscal year 2019 are October 1, 2018; January 4, 2019; and April 1, 2019.