HIRING: Executive Director at SAAFON – Atlanta
HIRING: Executive Director at SAAFON – Atlanta
SAAFON is the first, and still the only, regional network for Black farmers committed to using ecologically sustainable practices to manage their land and the natural systems on it in order to grow food and raise livestock that are healthy for people and the planet. Many of our farms have been in the same Black family for over 100 years and, as such, are historical treasures.
About the Position
The Executive Director will report to the Board of Directors, and will have overall strategic, operational, and financial responsibility for SAAFON’s staffing, programs, expansion, and execution of its mission. They will be expected to develop deep knowledge of core activities, programming, strategic partnerships, operations, and plans. The position is full-time and exempt.
Strategic Visioning & Implementation
The Executive Director will work closely with the rest of the SAAFON team to develop and execute strategic priorities at both the network and state levels. This will include:
● Assisting in the development and refinement of SAAFON’s strategic plan, a theory of change, and
community-driven and meaningful measures to chart our impacts.
● Taking advantage of close working relationships that have already been established with international, national and local stakeholders.
● Monitoring developments in the field to identify emerging needs, gaps, and opportunities.
● Writing strategy recommendations and background papers, as well as presenting proposals for funding.
Grantmaking & Fundraising
● Identifying, securing and managing funder and donor relationships;
analyzing and assessing background information ; conducting site visits; soliciting and developing funding
proposals; determining appropriate funding levels; preparing docket materials; monitoring active grants and
producing progress reports.
● Ensuring adherence to grantmaking processes via appropriate documentation, grant budgeting, and reporting.
● Developing donor, sponsorship, and/or fundraising plans and campaigns.
● Engaging with the community of aligned practitioners working to advance SAAFON’s goals.
● Identifying appropriate partners and collaborations to advance SAAFON’s strategies including, as appropriate,
actively participating in collaboratives, conferences and workshops.
Financial Stewardship, Supervision and Management
● Ensuring effective budget development and allocation.
● Manage payments, invoices, and relationship with fiscal sponsor
● Hiring, managing, supervising, and working integrally with SAAFON staff, contractors, and/or volunteers.
● Guiding development of personnel and operational policies.
● Provide strategic and operational vision and support to the Board of Directors.
● Facilitate (semi)annual strategic retreats for Board and staff/contractors.
● Partner with farmers, staff, contractors and volunteers to identify, frame and uplift SAAFON’s stories.
● Develop and promote messaging to build support among various audiences.
● Represent SAAFON at public speaking engagements.
● Represent SAAFON on key leadership seats (with coalition partners, etc.)
● Oversee the effective deployment of SAAFON’s website, Facebook, and other social media platforms.
Perform other duties and responsibilities as needed.
● Must have knowledge of food, land, and environmental justice issues, particularly as they relate to Black communities.
● Deep knowledge of and strong relationships with Black farmers in the Southeastern United States.
● Minimum 3-5 years experience in coalition building, political education, and grassroots organizing.
● Ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities on different timelines.
● Ability to learn quickly when confronting new issues and priorities.
● Understanding and embodiment of SAAFON’s values.
● Respect, open-mindedness, and strong listening skills.
● Strong public speaking and interpersonal skills
● Superior analytic skills and the ability to identify and extract critical information for communication externally
with advocates, funders, and other stakeholders, as well as within Wellspring and with donors-clients.
● Ability to handle confidential donor information with complete discretion.
● Excellent written and oral communication skills
● Exceptional management and mentoring skills.
● Significant experience working effectively in funder collaboratives or in collaboration with advocacy organizations working on climate change issues.
● Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain close, collegial, effective working relationships with colleagues
and grantees of diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
● Experience in developing and implementing strategic plans or initiatives that engage diverse perspectives and stakeholders.
● Ability to build and manage effective teams. Minimum of 5 years’ experience supervising and managing teams.
● Proven ability to successfully engage in fundraising and grant writing.
● Strong verbal and written communication skills.
● High ability to multitask and meet deadlines.
● Proven independent self-starter and self-motivator.
● Ability to travel domestically frequently. This position will be based in SAAFON’s office in Atlanta GA with expected travel throughout the Southeastern United States as needed. Given the wide geographic reach of this work successful candidates will have their own vehicles suitable for regional travel.
● Good judgment and a good sense of humor.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Annual salary of $80,000. Benefits include mileage reimbursement for business travel, flexible schedule, health and
dental insurance, and paid time off.
Inquiring Systems Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived
race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, and gender expression, religious creed, disability
(mental and physical) including HIV, AIDS, and AIDS-related conditions, medical condition (including cancer and genetic
characteristics), genetic information, age, marital status, sexual orientation, military and veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should submit the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Executive Director” in the subject
● a resumé;
● a thoughtful cover letter including how you became aware of this opportunity and why you believe you are a
good fit for this position. Please review SAAFON values on the website and include examples of how you
embody these principles.
● one writing sample that demonstrates any combination of the qualifications or values listed above
No phone calls please.
The new deadline for applications is January 1, 2020.