HIRING: Part-time Gardener at The Hermitage
Position Title: Gardener 1
Reports to: Historic Garden Manager
Exempt Status: Nonexempt, Part-time, 20-30 hours seasonally
Pay Rate: $12 per hour, after 90 day period (During 90 day pay is $11.50)
Revised: January 2019
Start Date: April 1, 2019
Andrew Jackson’s Hermitage is seeking a passionate and motivated individual to join our garden team. This part-time, Gardener 1 position will be responsible for garden and landscape maintenance in our highly trafficked, 1.35-acre Historic Garden, and on our outstanding 1,120-acre National Historic Landmark site. The right candidate will have professional gardening experience and an eye for detail.
As a member of our team you will be accountable for the preservation of The Hermitage garden and will help support all aspects of our garden operations. Duties daily will include landscaping, gardening, soil maintenance, infrastructure upkeep, fertilizing, watering, and maintaining flowers, trees and shrubs. The ability to use hand tools, do physical labor, think critically, and work in all weather conditions is required. Experience in sustainable gardening, and power tool proficiency is desired. Public garden experience preferred, but we will train the right candidate.
• Identify historic plants, and care for them through demonstrated knowledge of planting, weeding, feeding, and pruning practices
• Power trim, mow, and otherwise maintain historic lawns and fence lines
• Regularly rake and remove plant debris from public areas
• Beautify public breezeways, courtyards and visitor throughways
• Identify and safely remove weeds and invasive plants
• Identify beneficial garden insects
• Identify and safely remove harmful or invasive insects or pests
• Apply organically certified products, in proper applications, for optimal plant health
• Inspire and educate garden visitors and occasionally represent the garden at public events
• Knowledge of gardening, farming, or landscape related practices
• Uphold tool and tractor safety
• Maintain tools and equipment, and report any required maintenance
• Demonstrate ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Willingness to take initiative, prioritize tasks, and follow guidelines
• Demonstrate the ability to work efficiently and with extreme care around our historic plants, and near our historically significant infrastructure
• Able to work in the early morning, and in all weather conditions
• Willingness to take care of yourself in extreme weather conditions; staying hydrated, well nourished, and protecting yourself from excessive weather exposure
• Approved to lift up to 50 pounds and walk some distances without risk to health
• Available to work up to 30 hours a week
Andrew Jackson’s Hermitage: Home of the People’s President is one of the largest and most visited presidential homes in the United States. Opened as a museum in 1889, it is one of the nation’s oldest presidential sites, drawing more than 219,000 visitors each year. Located 12 miles northeast of downtown Nashville, The Hermitage is a 1,120-acre National Historic Landmark with 27 restored buildings, 12 dating to Jackson’s ownership, including his 1836 mansion and tomb, slave cabins, garden, and the church he had constructed for his beloved wife, Rachel. In the Andrew Jackson Center, guests can experience Andrew Jackson: Born for a Storm, an interactive exhibit about the life and profound impact of our seventh president on the history of the United States. Admission is free for active duty military and half-price for veterans. For more information, visit www.thehermitage.com.
To apply for the position, please send your resume and cover letter to Sarah Edmonds, Historic Garden Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit The Hermitage…