HIRING: Assistant Garden Manager – The Hermitage
The Assistant Garden Manager helps preserve and maintain the Hermitage Garden in a manner that is both historically accurate and aesthetically pleasing, while striving to educate and inspire the public through the Hermitage Garden’s history and plants.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
· Maintain, with the garden team, the garden in a manner consistent with a National Historic Landmark Presidential Site. This includes but is not limited to; weeding, watering, monitoring, seeding, transplanting, trellising, and labeling plant material. In addition, the AGM will monitor and upkeep pathways and other key garden infrastructure.
· Work closely with the Historic Garden Manager to develop historically appropriate annual planting plans for the Hermitage Garden, non-historic planting beds, and demonstration crops.
· Develop a consistent and high-quality growing program.
· Coordinate with the Historic Garden Manager to plan and maintain best greenhouse practices.
· Responsible for projecting short- and long-term seed and plant budgets, plant and seed orders, and maintaining a quarterly inventory of all plant stocks and inputs.
· Manage all interior plants, and monitor the watering, aesthetic, and upkeep of those plantings.
· Lead annual plant sales; including plant selection, inventory, signage, marketing calendar, set-up, sales projections, and scheduling.
· Assist in forecasting soil improvements and amendment schedules.
· Implement pest and disease monitoring and management plans.
· Help with the care and maintenance of trees and shrubs in the historic and public areas.
· Assist with installation and maintenance for all seasonal plantings and decorations in the public and administrative areas of the Hermitage.
· Give tours of the garden, speak to groups about the garden, and work with volunteers and education and interpretation staff to develop and host garden programming.
· In the absence of the Historic Garden Manager supervises garden staff and coordinates volunteers.
· Manage all work with an eye to best practices, and handle additional duties as assigned.
Contact and more information:
To apply for the position, please send your resume and cover letter to Sarah Edmonds, Historic Garden Manager, email@example.com
For more information, visit www.thehermitage.com.