SEEKING: Chief Operating Officer, Stony Creek Colors
Are you a proven operations leader, with experience in steering a startup through rapid growth? Are you excited about the potential of joining a company that is transforming the supply chain for top fashion brands like Patagonia, Wrangler & Levi Strauss in the transition to a bio-based economy?
Stony Creek Colors, a Tennessee based firm producing renewable chemicals from sustainable natural resources and agricultural products, is seeking an experienced leader to oversee our operations. Reporting directly into the CEO, the Chief Operating Officer will help us scale up production of our alternative crops, beginning with our core offering of natural indigo, and oversee key operational functions including HR, finance, logistics and more.
About Stony Creek Colors
What started as a chemistry lab in a guest bedroom has evolved into the largest natural indigo manufacturer globally serving fashion brands as well as an artisan community of dyers. We partner with leading denim mills and dyehouses to bring consistent and scalable natural colors into industrial use. Our dyes empower fashion brands like Patagonia, Wrangler and Lucky Brand with a trusted and transparent supply of bio- based color. Our alternative crops like natural indigo improve profitability and ecosystem health for farmers while doing cool things like sequestering more carbon in the soil, all while empowering designers, brands, and mills with greater transparency and traceability.
Our customers are the world’s leading fashion and personal care brands and their suppliers. These brands need reliable and renewable products with transparent supply chains as they transition to the bio-based economy.
Our next generation products will fuel clean color innovation in verticals such as cosmetics, personal care, and food.
About the role
As we scale to work with sustainable natural resource providers near and far and grow into a leading bio-based products company, we are seeking an experienced leader to oversee operations.
Here’s what we plan to have you do:
• Scale up production of natural indigo
• Develop our supply chain to match growth projections
• Improve all aspects of farm operations to increase acreage and efficiency
• P&L and cash flow management and financial oversight
• Keep team on track and accountable for key quarterly and annual priorities
• Coordinate activities of all functional departments (agriculture and sourcing,
R&D, logistics, chemical production, biz dev)
• Develop KPIs tied to company goals and priorities and implement
reporting/tracking for each functional area
• Advance our human capital, including recruiting, developing/mentoring, project management capacity
• Lead resolution of investment/supply chain decisions
• Ensure new products launch on time with appropriate investment
• Develop and improve business, research, and production processes to support
• Experienced leading a company in growing from fewer than 20 to over 100 employees
• Biased toward action with experience working in a startup environment
• Excellent at establishing and maintaining trust and credibility with employees and
• Strong and clear communicator with all levels of the organization from operators
to R&D to investors, and exhibits transparency and openness in communications
with leadership team
• History of initiating, leading, and successfully implementing large-scale projects
• Thorough and confident; you are comfortable asking for help and delegating as
well as rolling up your sleeves when the task necessitates
• Balanced strategic and operations mindset; you see the big picture, know the
details, and you won’t get stuck in the weeds
• Demonstrate your belief that data drives decisions and balance that with
common sense and strong curiosity
• Track record of interfacing with a talented R&D team to drive adoption of
innovative products and processes
• Experienced in working with CEO in an innovative company, in the integrator role
to drive toward scalable, predictable, consistent results
• 5-10 years of experience in a leadership role in a manufacturing environment
• 3-5 years of experience working with natural resource-based or agricultural
supply chain (preferred)
• Consistently demonstrated strong leadership ability, and high emotional
Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience.